Monday, November 8, 2010

Sitting in the Car in the Rain

With boys over 6 years apart in age I have enjoyed very few opportuntites to "double-up" in terms of driving to schools, lessons, or practices, so when the opportunity does arise I am more than doubly appreciative.  Sunday mornings for the past eight years have meant one thing--an 8:45 AM race up Hwy. 101 to weekly bagpipe lessons/rehearsal with the Prince Charles Pipe Band in South San Francisco, back home again, and then a return trip to pick them up at 11:00. When Philip meet the legal age (and my comfort standards) to drive his brother up on Sundays, it felt like a whole new chapter in my life was going to open. What could I not accomplish with the three hours I had not seen for so long? The restorative Yoga class at 10:00? A hike with the dogs? A new blog!?

Well, that window of opportunity, as it turns out, was only open a very short time (due to extended illness othat prevented piping on Philip's part). But, I had been feeling so good about not having the car making four trips every Sunday, that I decided to bring enough materials to keep busy today (sitting out in the car, in the rain) for 3 hours. Surprisigly, when X staggered out at 11:00, my purse and my car interior (an extension of my purse) were paper napkin- and Jolly Rancher wrapper-free, and, via the wonders of mobile technology, I had deleted 276 old emails from Freecycle.org, 3 backyard chicken groups, and 46 unread editions of a weekly bank stock newsletter that I humor myself by still subscribing to "just in case"...AND, I only drove my gas-sucking SUV hog half as far.  Do I feel good?  Yeah, but I need better ventilation next time.

I have reached the ("duh"-provoking) conclusion that blogging daily, is far more challenging than accomplishing my little "green thing" each day, so I am moing to a new format...the list--for when life gets in the way of the blogging...

Nov 4th  Selected garbage out of bin for recycling
Nov 5th  Hung wet clothes out on line
Nov 6th   Reused water bottles and plastic containers
Nov 7th:  Cut back on driving

No comments:

Post a Comment