Saturday, November 20, 2010

Eating the Apple All the Way Down to the Stem

This week called for more vigilance in  keeping my eyes peeled for "green" opportunities, a few of which presented themselves:

I have been in the habit of using three towels when I go to the gym: one for a workout towel, one for me, and one for my long wet hair.  I cut the workout towel to a small hand-towel and limited myself to one for the shower.  I went to Trader Joe's and was standing in the checkout line when I realized that my reusable grocery bags were in the car.  I alerted the checkout guy that I would be"right back" ...and I was! 

The 6th-graders were at Outdoor Education Camp all week.  Although, I had a vague recollection of what the answer was already from former experience with such campers, I asked the boys if I could toss my apple core out the window into the forest.  NO!!!  "Non-indigenous apple trees might grow!" "A fox might come and eat it and want more!"  (I think they got the message.) So I ate it all the way down to the stem...and they were impressed.




Nov 17:  Used only one towel at the gym in shower
Nov 18:  Ran back to car from checkout  line to get my reusable grocery bags
Nov 19:  Per Outdoor Ed  youths, ate entire apple core

No comments:

Post a Comment