Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Nasty Parts

Why do so many of the "green things" I come up with seem to have a definite "nasty"component? Besides the already-mentioned sorting of the "food-soiled papers" into the composting bins as per the official instructions, there seem to be so many more

On Tuesday, I hauled a 25 lb. bag of  Peet's coffee grounds home to use as soil enrichment for the acid-loving plants.  The black coffee liuquid was squeezig out of the plastic bags by the time I got it home and it was a little drippy.  The bag wasn't looking like it would make it back to the roses (I also had second thoughts about a lot of chickens developing expensive taste in caffeine), so I gingerly shifted the bag into the front yard order, where it promptly split, revealing, not just a mound of dark grounds, but a soggy mass of industrial-size paper filters as well. Needless to say, separating these from the dirt and grounds to ferry them back to the compost heap was not a pleasant task.  

Another questionable accomplishment:  When I was taking my 60 second shower with the low-flow shower heads at the gym, I decided to rinse out my sythetic exercise wear, run it through the swimsuit spinner.  So far so good. However, I neglected to remember that I was actually not going home yet  Leavig a bag of damp clothes in the car would really defeat the purpose, so I was left with only one alternative:  discreeetly arranging my clothing across the front of the dashboard and parking my car in the sun with the sunroof and windows cracked open while I had my hair cut. The eleven-year-olds I picked up later in the day did mention the humidity on the windows, but they would have been horrified and mortified had they seen the source...




Nov 8:  Composted many pumpkins
Nov 9:  Recycled coffee grounds in garden
Nov 10:  Dried rugs in sun
Nov 11:  Asked the gardeners to stop using chemicals on the lawn (chickies taking care of it!)
Nov 12: Hand washed gym clothes in shower

No comments:

Post a Comment