Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Baby Steps Still Count...

As one of our neighbors recently pointed out, we are working for the garbage company now.  We received THREE new huge receptacles last week, each of which came with a page-long description of "do's" and "don'ts"  It is much trickier now, as "food soiled trash" and meat has to go in the "official" compost bin, (which is separate from my garden compost bin, where I do not compost these items), while other paper and clean recyclables go in another bin, while regular "trash" goes in another.  That means that before it leaves the kitchen, there are FOUR separate trash categories!  So not to be negative on this new system, I dug through the general garbage on Monday and extracted a small number of food-soiled items (i.e. pizza box)  to populate the official compost bin. Nasty. (Must find a way to do this at the site of origin. )

Other daily "green things" were less unpleasant and not difficult at all.  Yesterday, I relocated all of the plastic spoons from frozen yogurts that I have een stockpiling in my car and washed them for re-use in school lunch bags.  And today, I introduced a second waste paperbasket in my office for "recyclables".    

No comments:

Post a Comment